The O*Diaries team explores the world of anal plugs and covers all you need to know about them before trying one for the first time…
The anus is full of sensitive nerve endings that feel great when stimulated. Yet many guys still tend to have an aversion to trying anal play. Social stigma has, unfortunately, lead many guys to believe that anal play is somehow a gay or homosexual activity.
But the tide is turning. The market for anal plugs is booming and the reason is that the type of sensation you get from trying it is incredible. Perhaps you have dabbled in a little anal finger play before and are curious to try more. Or perhaps you and your partner are interested in getting into anal play. Either way, anal toys are the perfect gateway to anal play.
So let’s enter the world of anal plugs.
What are anal plugs?
Anal plugs, also known as butt plugs, are toys specifically designed to be inserted into – you guessed it – your butt. They are typically tapered and have a wider end to stop the toy from entering too far into the anus. They can be worn by you or your partner during, masturbation, foreplay or sex to increase pleasure. Some anal plugs feature vibrations to intensify the stimulation.
Are anal plugs the same as prostate massagers?
Not exactly. While you do stick both up your butt, prostate massagers, or anal vibrators, differ in shape and size. Prostate massagers are often designed with a slight curve and are often a little longer than an anal plug. This is because the prostate massager aims to stimulate the prostate. However, some people may use these two terms fairly synonymously.
These toys differ to male masturbators which are typically a sleeve that you insert the penis into. These have often been classified as “straight” toys whereas anal toys such as butt plugs have often been characterized as gay sex toys. However, these distinctions are now largely seen as irrelevant and sex toys are non-sexuality specific.
Why should you try anal plugs?
Anal plugs are a great introduction to anal play. The anus is full of sensitive nerve endings including the male G-spot, sometimes called the p-spot.
If you like the sensation you can try a prostate massager for a different and more intense sensation. For your partner, if she’s into it, it’s also a great way to get started with anal play. Butt plugs can add a new sensation to foreplay, sex, and masturbation.
How to use anal plugs in your sex life?
So how can you use anal plugs in your sex life? The answer is however you like. An anal plug is a passive sex toy. You can insert it and leave it there while you engage in any kind of sexual activity. Once you insert it, you will notice that the pressure around your prostate increases, causing you to feel more aroused or pleasure more intensely than without the butt plug.
Masturbation – when you masturbate you stimulate nerve endings in the tip of the penis. Combining this with anal stimulation can effectively double your pleasure. Give it a try.
During sex – the great thing about anal plugs is that once it is inserted, it leaves both your hands-free. This makes it a perfect toy during sex, as you can wear it and continue as normal. You may find that climaxing feels more intense during butt plug sex.
For your partner:
Your partner may also enjoy using an anal plug. She may like to wear it during foreplay, masturbation or during sex. Wearing an anal plug during penetration, for example, can intensify the sensation, as nerve endings in the anus are stimulated. Combing anal and clitoral stimulation can help your parents achieve powerful orgasms.
If you are thinking about trying anal sex, an anal plug is a great way to get the anus used to that sort of stimulation and penetration. It can relax the muscles and makes anal sex easier.
How to talk about anal plugs in a couple?
Open communication is the foundation of every healthy sex life. You should be able to express your desires to your partner. But how you introduce the topic depends on your current situation. Are you already quite adventurous? Or perhaps you have already tried sex toys before. In that case, introducing the topic of anal plugs shouldn’t be too tricky. Simply state that you would like to explore another type of stimulation with your partner.
If this is the first time trying something like this, ask yourself, why are you interested in trying an anal plug. Do you want to try it yourself or on your partner? If you want to try it yourself, explain to your partner that it’s a fantasy you’d like to explore with her. If it’s something you want to try with her, then explain that you are interested in stimulating her in new ways.
If you are keen to try anal sex with your partner, then you should listen carefully to her responses when she expresses desires. Has she expressed any desires for anal play before? A butt plug is a much less intimidating way to get started with anal play. And remember, if she’s not into it, just leave it.
Beginner’s butt plug guide
Using an anal plug for the first time may seem a little intimidating, but these quick tips will ensure your first time goes smoothly.
- Get the right toy for you – butt plugs come in all shapes and sizes. For your first time, it’s good to get one that is tapered, and wider at one end. Try and find one that is normal to narrow width. The best butt plugs are made of high-quality material, feature vibrations for extra stimulation, and should be a comfy fit. The Ditto is a vibrating butt plug by WeVibe is a good starter anal plug.
- Go to the bathroom/clean — let’s not get gross here. But yes number two. This helps ensure the anus is fully clean during play. Take a shower and make sure to clean the anal entrance thoroughly. Use mild soap. Try to clean slightly inside, use a finger about an inch inside the entrance. Ensure your fingers are clean as well.
- Try a finger first — before entering with the toy, try lubing up a finger and gently sliding it inside. Your finger is significantly smaller than the butt plug, so it helps the anus get used to the feeling.
- Lube up the butt plug — Use a water-based lube (silicone-based lube may damage your toy) and use plenty of it. This will reduce any friction and allow the toy to enter more easily.
- Massage the opening — before you push the toy all the way in, massage and stimulate the anal open with the toy. As you begin to feel more comfortable, slide the anal plug further in. You will know when it is in as far as it should be because you will feel a slight decrease in pressure and the toy will sit in the right place naturally.
- Leave it in for as long as you feel comfortable — You can leave the anal plug in during masturbation and sex, but only as long as you feel comfortable. If you feel any discomfort, stop and take it out.
- (When using with a partner) Be gentle — if you have already tried the butt plug on yourself, you will know how it feels, so when entering or removing the toy remember to be very gentle. If you haven’t tried the butt plug before, be extra careful and listen to your partner.
Take your first steps towards anal play today
Whether you are looking to add a new element to your masturbation ritual, or you and your partner want to try something new, anal play can be a fun way to add some extra pleasure to your sex life. Anal sex toys, particularly anal plugs, are the perfect starting point.
Why am I so in favor of dirty talk, even though it sometimes can be so embarrassing? First of all–yes, I am really great with coming up with nasty things to say. And no, I am not always hyper-sexual. And that’s not bad at all, in fact, it’s the opposite. For me, dirty talk is a lot more than sexy texting or foreplay…