The most important and also the longest relationship in our life is the one with ourselves but, the fact that most people focus on celebrating marriage and romantic relationships made the practice of self-love, or, female masturbation a little taboo. In reality, pleasuring yourself is enjoyable, good for your body, part of a healthy sex life, and makes you feel phenomenal. There is nothing to be ashamed of. If you haven’t tried it yet, here’s why you should.
Female Masturbation is Normal
- According to the National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior (NSSHB), between 60% and 80% of women (depending on their age) have masturbated during their lifetime.
- Masturbation is an excellent learning tool for you to discover where and how we like to be touched — information that we can pass on to our partners.
A Way to Get to Know Your Own Body
- The vulva is made up of the mons pubis, labia majora and minora, vagina, and perineum.
- Majority of females most likely orgasm from clitoral stimulation.
- You can add to your personal knowledge of what feels good, what feels “meh” , what you absolutely hate and what you know will push you over the climax cliff each time you explore.
Health Benefits of Female Masturbation
- Masturbation improves women’s overall well-being. It provides a physical and emotional release, lowers stress and can help with period cramps.
- Masturbation increases blood flow to the genitals which is essential to good sex with partner.
- Orgasms release feel-good chemicals in our brain, including oxytocin (known as the love hormone), dopamine (which gives us a sense that everything is alright) and endorphins (which are natural pain killers).
- Helps you feel relaxed and content and sleep better.
It’s All About Self Pleasure
- Don’t think that just because you’re alone, this should be a bare bones experience.
- Set the mood by adding music, candles, chocolate, and maybe bubble bath to increase your mood.
- Don’t jump straight to your genitals. Arouse yourself. Stroke your thigh, inch your nipple, and run your fingernails down the side of your torso.
- Play with your anus if you’re feeling adventurous — everyone gets off differently.
Try Adding Sex Toys and Lube
- Sex toys like Womanizer DUO can really add to the masturbation experience and help discover your G-spot.
- Lubrication can help your fingers slide across the skin more easily and feel more luxurious. Some might also add a sensation of warmth or tingling.
- Dildos and vibrators come in all shapes, sizes and speeds. But we know best: Discover here the best sex toys for women…
Though masturbation is normal and a healthy thing to do, self-love for those of us with vulvas and vaginas is still a little taboo. It’s not better or worse than partnered sex, it is just different. Why not start from today and celebrate self-love by polishing the pearl, buttering the muffin or fanning the fur. It turns out we have a few cheeky phrases for female masturbation after all! However, if you discover that you have a very low libido, try Addyi, they are available under prescription to help stimulate your brain and increase your sex desire.